Disinfection is key. Fighting COVID-19 with chlorine dioxide
Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2) is one of the most effective disinfectants, capable of eliminating bacteria, viruses, molds, biofilms and even spores. It‘s function as biocide, algaecide, fungicide, makes it a very powerful general disinfectant while at the same time being very gentle with the items to be disinfected.
ClO2 is used in various applications, such as disinfection of drinking water, cleaning of medical instruments and personal protection equipment. ClO2 measurement ranges are e.g., in mg/L or % for
solutions or mg/m³ for workplace air concentrations. In all cases the ClO2 content must be controlled and accurately monitored.
Inline chlorine dioxide measurements
Optek’s chlorine dioxide (ClO2) analyzers measure real-time ClO2 solution strength and/or ClO2 gas concentration. Operationally, the analyzer passes a light beam through the ClO2 stream to be monitored, where light absorbance is measured at two distinct wavelengths.
The measuring wavelength is set to focus on the ClO2 absorbance curve, while the secondary wavelength compensates for any influence such as window fouling, particulate/suspended solides, immiscible fluids and gas bubbles.
A complete Optek ClO2 analyzer is comprised of a C4422 converter, an AF26-VB sensor and a titanium or TFMC (Teflon) process connection.
Advantages of an Optek ClO2 analyzer
Optek’s sensors and converters have already been used for over 30 years in a wide range of industrial applications going from (petro-) chemical over food to biotechnology. They offer a number of important advantages when it comes to measuring ClO2:
- No use of consumable reagents.
- Independent of flow rate or flow velocity.
- Two independent measurement points on one transmitter.
- In the case of ClO2 gas measurements: can compensate for temperature and pressure swings.
- Independent monitoring of the reference wavelength, giving a real-time indication of window fouling.
- Sensor validation with NIST-traceable optical filters.
- Uses a tungsten filament lamp ensuring long lamp life and consistent emissivity.
- ATEX version possible.